First off, we're very grateful for anything you'd care to send us to review but we'd like to provide a quick summary of submission guidelines .
With a huge amount of sadness, we can no longer review self-published work submitted to us.
With a full time job, and Charlotte at school, it's becoming extremely difficult to fit in huge submissions of self-published books amongst our other reviews. We are taking the option of covering self-published books we source ourselves as an occasional part of our "Indie Pen-Dance Wednesday" slot but will no longer respond to individual requests for reviews submitted via email, through Twitter or through Facebook. Please understand, we have not taken this decision lightly - it's becoming increasingly difficult to cover low-volume indie or self-published books, cover kickstarter projects and other books in a similar vein. If you do still email us (and an awful lot of you still do), and don't hear anything, assume that we're basically not going to review your book, sorry.
- ReadItDaddy is written by a full time hard working dad and his daughter. We don't feature paid-for content or sponsored posts, and will always state when something has been sent to us for review (with no obligation to review, obviously).
- We love Picture Books (fiction and non fiction). Books suitable predominantly for age ranges 6-11 yrs are our mainstay. We love early readers and some chapter books but reviews or coverage of these titles may take a little longer to arrange (we have a big reading pile!) Similarly, we love baby books but have you ever tried to get a 6 year old to read an ABC board book, no matter how gorgeous it is? Not easy. Similarly, long YA or series are also tough to factor into our schedule (keeping even the most avid bookworm 6 year old interested in a long YA series when you've got a packed review schedule is super-tough so please don't take it personally - one day Charlotte will bite your hand off for big fat books like yours!)
- Book of the Week Nominations come out on Friday, usually at 9.00 AM GMT sharp. Sometimes we choose 2 (one each) because we don't always agree (have you ever tried compromising with a 6 year old? How did that work out for you :)
- In line with our revised stance on self-published titles, we will no longer be covering apps on the blog. Other folk do a fantastic job of covering kid apps, storytelling apps etc, we just can't keep up - so we're concentrating on print from now on.
- As mentioned above - we no longer cover self-published titles and we are extremely picky about independently published titles too, so please accept our polite apology for this change in tack. We know how difficult it is to get publicity for your book or to spread the word. We no longer feel that we can do justice to such a huge task, and therefore once again politely request that our followers and readers respect our wishes on this point, and don't send us emails that start with "I know you said you won't cover self-published books, but this is different!" - We will no longer enter into correspondence so if you do not receive a reply, assume we are not going to review your book.
- Non-book items will be covered on our sister blog "Notes from the Toybox" or day-out related items on my wife's blog "The Strolling Mum". Sometimes I cover grown up books on daddyafterdark.
- We're very happy to post news items relevant to the blog. Please include as much information as possible if you'd like us to cover news items, book or app releases etc. Images and links really help us too! We endeavour not to just copy and paste press releases so if we miss anything super-urgent or ultra-relevant in news posts, please let us know.
- We cannot stress this enough. We do this for free, in our spare time, and time is precious. Please don't be offended if we're slow to get back to you or slow to post your reviews - or as previously stated if we don't get back to you at all. We have a packed schedule, we do stick to it, and above all we like to choose what we review and we choose to review books we really like. Makes sense really!
- Sometimes we make mistakes. We're only human. Imagine having a review schedule of 30 books, squeezing in review time and then realising you've misspelled someone's name - or the name of their book - or Blogger has dished up the wrong header image? We feel pretty silly about these things but will endeavour to correct our mistakes as quickly as possible.
- Last but by no means least we absolutely, positively, undoubtedly love love LOVE books and we're extremely passionate about them. If you think our blog sounds glowingly praising most of the time, it's pretty much because children's picture books are on FIRE at the moment, and it's actually very rare to find a children's picture book that sucks. However, please do not take it personally if Charlotte doesn't like your book. There are a billion other children on the planet who probably will and a reviews website wouldn't be a reviews website if we loved absolutely everything to bits, would it?
Posted books from publishers will always reach us if sent by standard post. Couriers don't work outside business hours so we often find it difficult to re-arrange delivery if items are couriered to us (couriers seem to find it unusual that people work full time for a living and can't wait in all day for parcels, fancy that eh!)
Given that most of the items we've had delivered by courier have been dumped in the garden or left with neighbours, good old Royal Mail or Parcel Force are still more reliable than the others so if sending bulkier items, this is your best bet for reaching us.
Thanks for reading!