Tuesday, May 29, 2012
10 of the best books for summer reading
1) Harry by the Sea by Margaret Bloy Graham and Gene Zion
I've lost count of the amount of times we've read this book and enjoyed it. I remember the Harry books from when I was a wee whippersnapper in shorts, long before the days of Factor 50 sunscreen and sensible sun hats, and the seaside setting and hilarious story makes this a real summer treat. It's such a shame that Red Fox never got to reprint the rest of the Harry books (you can get this, No Roses for Harry, Harry the Dirty Dog and Harry and the Lady Next Door but there were so many more!) as they're absolute classics.
2) Knick Knack Paddywhack by Paul O. Zelinsky
3) The Queen's Knickers by Nicholas Allan
4) Chicky Chicky Chook Chook by Cathy MacLennan
5) Pants and More Pants by Giles Andrea and Nick Sharratt
6) Winnie in Winter by Valerie Thomas and Korky Paul
7) Smile! (Starring Sunny McCloud) by Leigh Hodgkinson
8) Shark in the Park by Nick Sharratt
9) A Dose of Doctor Dog by Babette Cole
As usual, it's up to Doctor Dog to save the day, along with his new friend Professor Dash Hund.
The Doctor Dog books are brilliant, and though there's a tenuous summery link here, we won't stop recommending them because they're hilarious (and downright squishy) fun!
10) The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
We haven't reviewed this one yet but it's on the list of books to read to Charlotte when she's a bit older and progresses past the picture book stage. So why is it on the list of summer books? Surely everyone (young or old) fantasises about finding that secret quiet little nook away from the madding crowd. Somewhere to nestle into the corner of, tucked away from the noise and hubbub like the girl in this story. Let's hope the robins (which we still see pecking at our bird feeders) one day lead us to our own secret garden, that'd be smashing.
Hope you enjoyed the recommendations and if you've got any more, drop a comment below please!